In addition to the inherent risks set out in the Medical Authorization & Release of Liability, which you have willingly and voluntarily assumed, we are all now grappling with the effects of the ongoing pandemic brought about by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, and COVID-19, the highly contagious infectious disease caused by this virus.
In the majority of people who become infected, COVID-19 causes a mild respiratory illness similar to influenza. In some individuals, including those who may have asthma, diabetes or other underlying health problems, it can lead to a severe respiratory condition that requires hospitalization. Notably, people can be without symptoms (asymptomatic) despite having a SARS-CoV-2 infection. This means that they can still spread the virus to others even though they do not feel unwell. This makes COVID-19 potentially dangerous, as it is highly infectious. Moreover, there currently are no vaccines or drugs approved to treat or prevent COVID-19.
Please understand that despite all the precautions that you, other participants, Portageville Youth Soccer ("PYS"), & its agents may take to combat novel coronavirus or COVID-19 (collectively, “COVID-19”) such as, for example, hand cleaning, social distancing, equipment cleaning, minimizing the use of shared objects between individuals, and other acts of vigilance against COVID-19, we cannot guarantee your health or safety, and you may still be exposed to COVID-19, including, without limitation, through touching soccer balls and other equipment, utilizing field space for practice and/or games, participating in practice and/or games, and through direct and/or indirect interactions with other players, coaches, referees, volunteers, or individuals who have COVID-19, have been exposed to COVID-19 or individuals who may be carrying the COVID-19 virus, but do not exhibit any symptoms of that disease.
By registering to participate in PYS, you, your participating child, & all persons who reside with you & with your child:
1. Knowingly and voluntarily assume all risks and dangers, known and unknown, that are associated with any exposure to COVID-19, including, but not limited to, suffering any type of medical condition, illness and, potentially, death;
2. Acknowledge that your use of and/or participation in the programming of PYS could result in you contracting COVID-19, respiratory failure, death, and/or the transmission of COVID-19 to family or household members and others who may also suffer these effects;
3. Agree that you will not permit your child to participate in any PYS activity if at any time during the activity, the child is showing symptoms of COVID-19 (including but not limited to fever, dry cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle pains, and sensory loss). You further confirm you will not allow your child to participate in PYS activities if, any time during the activity, the child has been in close contact with any individual diagnosed with COVID-19 or any individual currently waiting for test results confirming the possibility of a COVID-19 diagnosis. I agree that in such situations my child will not return to PYS activities until:
a) 14 days after the symptoms first appeared and my child is no longer showing any symptoms; or
b) a healthcare provider has confirmed in writing that my child has tested negative for COVID-19, or that my child's symptoms were not due to COVID-19; or
c) in the case of a child who has been in close contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19, my child has observed the appropriate quarantine period recommended by health officials;
4. Knowingly and voluntarily waive, release, covenant not to sue, and forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless the City of Portageville, Portageville Youth Soccer, its players, parents, volunteers, & representatives, from any and all liability, damages, losses, suits, demands, causes of action (including, without limitation, negligence), or any other claims of any nature whatsoever, arising out of, or relating in any way to, your use of and/or participation in the programming of PYS and any potential or actual exposure to COVID-19, to the maximum extent permitted by law;
5. Agree to abide by the directives and guidelines in effect in the state of Missouri, New Madrid county, the City of Portageville, & PYS to disrupt the spread of COVID-19; and
6. Acknowledge that, once the season begins & certain costs have been incurred, no refunds will be given should cancellation of the season become necessary due to the spread of COVID-19.
I have read and fully understood the above COVID-19 Waiver & Release of Liability, and sign voluntarily.